Cornell University Library’s Information Technology group seeks an experienced senior software engineer to serve as Lead System Architect for the next generation system of arXiv.org - the premier open access platform serving scientists in physics, math, computer science, and other disciplines. As a member of the arXiv “next generation” team (arXiv-NG), the Lead System Architect will design and develop a new integrated, modular system that will continue to provide the scientific community with access to the latest research results. For 25 years, arXiv.org has enabled scientists to share papers within scientific communities and to publish “pre-prints” that are scientific papers shared prior to a paper being published in a journal. Around the world, arXiv.org is recognized as an essential resource for the scientists that it serves. The new arXiv-NG system architect will play a key role in developing a modernized, next generation system to continue this legacy.
Cornell University Library (CUL) serves as the steward organization for arXiv.org, ensuring that arXiv has reliable technical infrastructure and providing new opportunities for innovative software development. The arXiv.org Program Director at CUL leads the arXiv organization with guidance from a Scientific Advisory Board, a Member Advisory Board, and an international community of scientific subject area moderators. Since arXiv’s inception in August 1991, more than 1 million scientific papers have been uploaded and shared. In October 2016 arXiv.org exceeded 10,000 submissions in a single month. Support for the development of the next generation arXiv comes from the Sloan Foundation, with ongoing arXiv support from Cornell University Library, the Simons Foundation, and a global collective of 200 institutional members.
Key opportunities this job offers:
- Play a major role in the development of software infrastructure that supports open access to scientific papers and rapid dissemination of the latest research results
- Be part of a team of developers that works on open source software and technical architecture that requires integration of cloud-based and Web-based services
- Work in an environment that engages scientists and researchers from around the world
- Work in a context where a remote work location is negotiable
- Provide expertise and leadership in technical architecture for arXiv-NG to ensure that the next generation system is modular, scalable, extensible, sustainable and easily maintainable, while providing a flexible and responsive user experience
- Design an integrated system that leverages APIs and Web standards to support custom workflows for submission, moderation, and publishing of papers in arXiv-NG and to provide open discovery and access for the entire corpus of arXiv papers and metadata.
- Collaborate with international open source software communities by participating in the development of shared software and services that mutually benefit arXiv-NG and others.
- Make decisions for best ways to manage technical complexity in developing and deploying arXiv-NG as a large scale, high volume, and highly responsive system to support scientists worldwide.
This is a three-year, benefits-eligible term appointment, with continuation dependent upon additional funding. For information about Cornell’s generous benefits package, click here.